This premium fibre disc features 3M's revolutionary Cubitron™ II ceramic mineral.
982C is 3M's top-of-the-line disc for carbon steel metalworking applications such as weld grinding, beveling, flame-cut edge clean-up, and deburring.
Cubitron II Grinding Discs are made with unique 3M precision-shaped ceramic grain technology, engineered with ultra-sharp, fast-cutting points that wear evenly, run cool, and optimize mineral breakdown to maximize disc life.
The sharp-edged, pyramidal Cubitron II grains are electrostatically oriented so they point upward to form sharp peaks, acting like individual cutting tools that slice through metal, wear evenly, and provide super-long life and consistency at any grinding pressure.
Mineral breakdown is optimized because, instead of getting rounded as they wear, the ceramic peaks continuously fracture to form brand new, sharp, cutting edges — maximizing performance and disc life.
In contrast, conventional ceramic abrasive grain is irregular in shape. Instead of a clean slicing action, the grain "plows" through the metal, causing heat build up, slower cutting and shorter life. See illustration at left.
User Tip — Especially with coarser 36 and 24 grits, use an extra hard red ribbed backing plate to run cooler and prolong disc life; see Related Products, below.
For weld blending mild steel for painting, follow 36 grit 982C discs with a Scotch-Brite Light Grinding and Blending Disc SD on a hard, black ribbed backing pad.
• Ideal for use on carbon steel, cold rolled steel, mild steel, and other hard metals
• Precision-shaped abrasive grain
• New cutting edges continually exposed as it wears
• Lasts twice as long as competitive discs
• Fastest cut with less pressure and noticeably less fatigue
• Bonding resin formula is optimzed for fast cutting of harder metals
• Tough, but flexible, fibre backing
• Cool running
• Use wet or dry
• Note that "+" grits indicate abrasive particles of the specified grade, and finer
• Offered in several tool attachment systems - predominantly the 5/8-11 TN quick attachment, and a traditional 7/8" mounting hole
• Sold by the box
Economical alternatives include 988C (3M's original Cubitron disc) for hardened steel; see Related Products, below.