With faster cutting and increased durability, these fibre discs provide much better performance than Type 27 bonded wheels on cold rolled and mild steel.
Before the launch of Cubitron II 982C discs, these 988C grinding discs represented the best of 3M's high performance discs for hardened steel applications.
These 988C discs utilize pure first generation Cubitron abrasive — an incredibly hard and durable synthetic ceramic mineral with self-sharpening edges.
User Tip — Especially with coarser 36 and 24 grits, use an extra hard red ribbed backing plate to run cooler and prolong disc life; see Related Products, below.
• Grinding aid for longer life, cooler running, and less loading
• Features the convenient and durable 5/8-11 TN quick connect attachment system
• Bonding resin formula is optimzed for fast cutting of harder metals
• Ideal for use on carbon steel, cold rolled steel, mild steel, and other hard metals
• Tough, but flexible, fibre backing
• Sold by the bag
For a higher performance disc, consider 3M's 982C long-lasting, highest performance disc for stainless steel, utilizing the revolutionary Cubitron II precision aligned abrasive.
An economical alternative to 988C discs is the 501C (aluminium zirconia abrasive) grinding disc for carbon steel; see Related Products.