This purple grinding disc is 3M Automotive Division's customized formulation of the industrial Cubitron™ II grinding discs which have taken the marine industry by storm.
The automotive industry's focus is a little different than industrial users whose work tends more toward high pressure grinding on larger pieces - where incidental heat buildup is not much of an issue.
Although the high strength steel used in automobile frames is thin and light, it is still very hard. Working on these frames requires abrasives that cut exceptionally fast, but with minimal heat-related stress cracks and discoloration. Faster cutting means less time for heat to build up - therefore less heat damage to the work piece.
Think of these discs as the finesse members of 3M's Cubitron II grinding disc family. You will find marine applications for these discs in precision grinding on lighter gauge, hardened metals in both repair and production work.
They are available in convenient 5-packs.
3M™ Cubitron II Fibre Discs are engineered to cut faster, cooler and with less grinding pressure than conventional abrasives. Plus they can last up to 5 times longer, for increased productivity!
Contains 3M's revolutionary, precision-shaped and oriented Cubitron II abrasive grain, coated on a heavy duty backing. Resin bonded for heat resistance. Coated with a dry grinding aid to help reduce heat build up.
The precision shaped grain continually fractures into super-sharp points and edges that slice cleanly through metal like a knife, rather than gouging or plowing as traditional abrasives do.
Moreover, because the abrasive itself stays cooler and sharper, it lasts significantly longer than conventional ceramic grain belts, decreasing costs and reducing belt change-overs.
• Fast cutting with less pressure and less worker fatigue helps increase productivity
• Disc life is significantly longer, requiring fewer disc changes
• Precision shaped ceramic grain is engineered to wear evenly and run cooler - reducing metal discoloration (oxidation) and the chance of heat related stress cracks
• Coated with a dry grinding aid to further enhance the product's ability to run cooler and cut faster
• Heavy duty backing excels in medium/high pressure high strength steel applications
• When used for stripping paint the improved construction resists loading while generating less heat
• Note that "+" grits indicate abrasive particles of the specified grade, and finer
User Tip — Especially with coarser 36 grit, use an extra hard red ribbed backing plate to run cooler and prolong disc life; see Related Products, below.