The Nauticast2 Class A AISTransponder is specifically designed to fulfill Non-SOLAS carriage requirements in the United States. Non-SOLAS Class A AIS transponders are required on commercial ships less than 300 tons.
These vessels typically include ferries carrying over 50 passengers, tugboats, vessels carrying hazardous materials, etc.
AIS (Automatic Identification System) is a system in which participating vessels carry transponders which both send and receive vessel data such as position, course and speed. This data is typically displayed on navigation instruments such as a chartplotter and is used to avoid traffic interference and collisions.
Unlike radar, AIS signals suffer little or no interference from atmospheric conditions or moderate topography (such as bends in a channels or moderate hills). Furthermore, AIS transmissions are content rich. In addition to basic position, course and speed information, AIS Class A transmissions also carry data regarding vessel identification, call sign, destination, cargo, draft, rate of turn, and more.
Each Class A AIS system consists of a 12.5W VHF transmitter, an integral global navigation satellite system (i.e. GPS) receiver, two VHF TDMA receivers, one VHF DSC receiver, and standard marine electronic data interface (IEC 61162/NMEA 0183) to shipboard display and sensor systems (AIS Schematic). Position is normally derived from an external navigation receiver and timing information derived from the integral GPS receiver, although the integral receiver does provide position information as a backup.
• A significant development in vessel safety and the prevention of vessel collisions and interference
• Very compact size, with integrated keyboard (for vessel data entry) and display
• Plug & Play - Two sockets suffice to connect power, sensors and antennas
• Man Over Board button saves the precise coordinates of the incident and immediately generates a distress message to surrounding vessels
• ECDIS port adapter directly interfaces with your ECDIS display
• All-in-one kit includes AIS transponder, VHF & GPS antennas, data cables, and pivot mounting kit (flush mount available)