Lewmar's Pro-Series and Pro-Fish windlasses are close cousins. The main difference is the default anchor lowering method.
Pro-Series windlasses come with a default power down function for anchor lowering, with the option for manually operated free fall, controlled at the windlass.
Pro-Fish windlasses come with a default freefall function for ultra-fast anchor lowering, with the option to change a setting on the windlass for power down operation.
Both windlass types have the standard power up function.
This entry features the Pro-Series windlasses.
The Lewmar ProSeries of stainless steel windlasses are compact, gypsy only, rope/chain horizontal windlasses designed for reliable performance and easy installation. Incorporating a highly efficient spur gearbox, the ProSeries windlasses utilize smaller, but more powerful, permanent magnet motors with lower amp draw and smaller diameter wires than those required by series wound motors driving worm gearboxes. Overall, this makes for a lighter, less costly, and easier one-piece installation requiring no disassembly or motor alignment.
Praised by professionals worldwide, the horizontal Pro-Series is DIY-ready, easy to install, and housed in 316 stainless steel — making it well protected and durable. And with push-button control and a built-in manual emergency recovery system, anchoring has never been easier.
Pro-fish windlass kits come complete and ready for simple, Do-It-Yourself installation.
Note that these windlasses are direct replacements for Lewmar's older Horizon 600 and 900 windlasses - the exact same mounting hole pattern, but increased pulling power.
• Suitable for most boats from 23 - 30 ft (700 Model), and 27 - 38 ft (1000 Model) in length
• Rocker switch controlled freefall feature
• Power up, with power down option
• Powerful permanent magnet motor provides fast line speed
• Smooth, snag-free, rope to chain transitions
• Sleek and corrosion resistant 100% 316 stainless steel construction, including control arm and chain stripper
• Manual recovery operation - all you need is a common 1/2" socket wrench
• Convenient above-deck installation
• Reliable spur gearbox for strength, speed, and efficiency
• Maximum pulling power: 320 kg (700 lb) for the 700 and 454 kg (1,000 lb) for the 1000
• Minimum recommended deck thickness is 1" (25mm); supplement with a suitable backing plate, if necessary
• Optional Deck Switches as well as Remote Handheld and Wireless Controls are available; see Related Products, below
• Note that G4, G40, G43, and High Test (HT) chains are equivalent for sizing purposes
• 5-year warranty
What's in the box...
Pro-Series windlasses can be purchased as a "windlass only" with neoprene mounting gasket, mounting studs, and an installation wrench which fits all the windlass components.
They can also be purchased as a "windlass kit" which add a circuit breaker, dual direction solenoid, and a heavy duty up/down guarded rocker switch (for helm mounting).
The windlass kits are, by far, the most popular option.
Is one of these windlasses a good choice for your boat? You can use the recommended typical boat lengths provided or, for a more rigorous determination, take the total weight of your ground tackle (anchor + rode) and multiply by 4. The maximum pull capability of the windlass should be at least as large as the resulting number.
Note — There are only two gypsies used on "Pro" windlasses:
Windlasses equipped with a gypsy for 1/4" chain can use - 1/4" High Test, 1/4" BBB, 6mm DIN or 7mm DIN Chain and 1/2" 3-Strand or 9/16" 8-Plait Line
Windlasses equipped with a gypsy for 5/16" chain can use - 5/16" High Test or 8mm DIN or ISO Chain, and 5/8" or 9/16" 3-Strand or 5/8" 8-Plait Line