Features of the Mantus Anchor Bridle
• Designed to absorb shock loads on the anchor rode generated by waves and wind gusts
• Helps protect deck gear from shock loads
• Helps protect anchor from shock loads which could dislodge it
• Strong and durable
• Large spliced eyes fit virtually all deck cleats, hawse cleats and bitts
• Super secure 8 tack eye splices
• Heavy duty chafe protection extends for five feet on each leg and at the thimble end
• Uses heavy duty 316L stainless steel shackles and thimbles rated to be as strong as the largest high test chain that matches the system
• Mantus Chain Hook is sized for your anchor chain and is designed to be stronger than the (high test) chain
• Included high-load carabiner can replace the chain hook for convenience when using the bridle for attaching to a mooring buoy
Heavy on the technical side...
Anchor bridles, or snubbers, are lengths of line and a chain hook, used when anchored, to create a direct link between your all-chain anchor rode and strong points on your boat - bypassing the windlass.
Snubbers (one line) and bridles (two lines) perform two important functions:
1) When at anchor, one end of the bridle is hooked on the chain while the other end(s) attach to your mooring cleats at the bow. This allows you to ease the windlass, creating some slack in the chain. The result is that the load of the boat comes on your mooring cleats instead of the anchor windlass, which is not designed to withstand the shock loads on the chain created by wind and waves.
2) The fact that the bridle is made with 3-strand nylon rope introduces stretch (shock absorbancy) into the system which augments the caternary effect of the anchor chain in light weather.
This stretch relieves some of the shock load on both your mooring cleats, as well as the anchor's purchase on the seabed, when the boat fetches up due to waves or wind gusts - helping everything to stay in place.
In severe conditions, the chain may be stretched tight, providing no shock-absorbing function at all, leaving only the bridle to provide stress relief.