In case of emergencies on the water, it is generally recommended that vessels carry both "alert" and "locate" signals.
"Alert" signals, such as aerial flares, make people aware of your situation.
"Locate" signals, such as handheld flares, allow them to pinpoint your location and travel to you.
These handheld flares are "locate" signals.
Experts recommend you carry six of each type of signal.
Surface to surface sighting range on water is approximately 3 to 5 miles, depending on boat elevation. If a rescuer is 5 miles away and running at 20 knots, it will take 15 minutes to reach you. Therefore, it is prudent to have at least 12 minutes (total burn time) of signals onboard to maintain a strong homing signal until help arrives.
• Safe, easy to use, and waterproof
• Average burn time: nearly 3 minutes each
• Average brightness : 700 candela
• Use as replacements in other flare kits, or store them in their watertight, floating, re-sealable zip-lock bag
• Sold by the retail package of 4, or bulk case of 72
• Note: This item can be shipped within the US by ground via common carrier (truck), but will incur a hazmat handling fee if shipped via UPS or FedEx; CANNOT be shipped by air, nor via USPS