The Atlantic Salt is a modified version of Spyderco's Rescue knife whose blunt Sheepfoot design has long been favored by seafarers, and more recently by rescue workers, EMTs, ranchers, and anyone requiring a readily accessible knife which can be safely used in potentially chaotic situations.
Unlike the Rescue Knife, which will rust in saltwater, the Atlantic Salt's blade is made with state of the art H-1 steel - a precipitation-hardened steel with added nitrogen for markedly increased corrosion resistance. The H-1 alloy blade does something no other blade steel can, it remains 100% rust free and actually holds a sharp cutting edge.
This is the Sheepfoot safety knife to buy for use around saltwater.
• Blade Shape — Sheepfoot Blade featuring a blunt rounded tip and a straight cutting edge. The lack of a traditional point reduces the chances of accidental punctures around livestock, inflatable watercraft, and people during emergency cutting
• Blade Grind — full hollow grind blade shape with bevels that extend from the center of the blade down to the cutting edge. Like the flat sabre grind of the Rescue Knife, this grind maintains full blade thickness through a large portion of the blade for increased strength. The bevels, however, are ground with a concave radius to create a finer edge profile which is very sharp (straight razors for shaving have this hollow grind), but at the cost of slightly less edge durability than the flat sabre grind of the Rescue knife
• Blade Edge — this knife features a SpyderEdge edge grind. This is Spyderco’s two-step serration pattern of alternating large serrations and double small serrations - easily seen in the photo. Serrated blades hold their sharpness incredibly well because the actual cutting edge is hidden inside each mini-arch, protected by the pointy outer edge of the blade. The pattern increases the cutting edge’s surface area by up to 24%, and is especially useful on materials that are tough to cut with a plain edge - like ropes
• Large trademark Spyderco Round Hole allows easy opening of the knife using the thumb of just one hand. In turn, the enlarged Round Hole creates a prominent hump in the top of the blade for your thumb to rest against while cutting
• Handle — the Atlantic Salt has a high strength, lightweight, fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) polymer handle with Spyderco's tough and grippy "Volcano" waffle-textured pattern for enhanced grip. It comes in black or high visibility yellow.
• A huge advantage — all of Spyderco's "Salt" knives can be put away wet without rusting!
• One of the highest quality blade steels available, the H-1 alloy in this blade holds an exceptional edge, and is 100% rust-proof
• All internal metal components are specially treated to prevent corrosion and pitting
• Rockwell hardness of 57-58rc makes for superior edge durability, so it lasts a long time between sharpenings
• Reversible (for left or right hand use), non-rusting titanium, tip-up pocket clip secures the knife inside your back pocket; this knife carries best in a blade tip-up configuration for easiest access when needed
• Back Lock style positive locking mechanism employs a rocker arm to engage a notch in the tang of the blade to lock it open; depress the recessed rear end of the rocker in the spine of the knife to unlock the blade; mechanism is recessed to prevent accidental unlocking
• Lanyard hole for retention cord when used around water, where once dropped, a knife is often irretrievable or lost
• Closed length is 4-5/8"