One of Spyderco's most popular knives, and the one most often carried by Spyderco's founder, the keychain-sized Ladybug 3 Salt cuts with authority, is nearly as small as your car keys, and - at just over half an ounce - carries just as easily.
Its H-1 alloy blade does something no other blade steel can, it remains 100% rust free and actually holds a sharp cutting edge. H-1 is a precipitation-hardened steel with added nitrogen for markedly increased corrosion resistance.
• Blade Shape — Leaf Shaped Blade, developed by Spyderco, is similar to a spear point but is not quite symmetric, and is only sharpened on one side
• Blade Grind — full hollow grind blade shape with bevels that extend from the center of the blade down to the cutting edge. This grind maintains full blade thickness through a larger portion of the blade for increased strength. The bevels are ground with a concave radius to create a fine edge profile which is very sharp (straight razors for shaving have this hollow grind), but at the cost of slightly less edge durability compared to flat sabre ground edges
• Blade Edge — this knife features a SpyderEdge edge grind. This is Spyderco’s two-step serration pattern of alternating large serrations and double small serrations - easily seen in the photo. Serrated blades hold their sharpness incredibly well because the actual cutting edge is hidden inside each mini-arch, protected by the pointy outer edge of the blade. The pattern increases the cutting edge’s surface area by up to 24%, and is especially useful on materials that are tough to cut with a plain edge - like ropes.
• Large trademark Spyderco Round Hole allows easy opening of the knife using the thumb of just one hand. In turn, the enlarged Round Hole creates a prominent hump in the top of the blade for your thumb to rest against while cutting. The hump and adjoining body have serrations to minimize slipping while cutting.
• Handle — the Ladybug 3 Salt has a high strength, lightweight, fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) polymer handle with Spyderco's patented bi-directional textured pattern for enhanced grip. This pattern features forward and backward graduating steps raditaing out from the center of the handle. It comes in high visibility yellow.
• A huge advantage — all of Spyderco's "Salt" knives can be put away wet without rusting!
• One of the highest quality blade steels available, the H-1 alloy in this blade holds an exceptional edge, and is 100% rust-proof
• All internal metal components are specially treated to prevent corrosion and pitting
• Rockwell hardness of 57-58rc makes for superior edge durability, so it lasts a long time between sharpenings
• One of Spyderco's smallest locking knives
• Back Lock style positive locking mechanism employs a rocker arm to engage a notch in the tang of the blade to lock it open; depress the recessed rear end of the rocker in the spine of the knife to unlock the blade; mechanism is recessed to prevent accidental unlocking
• Lanyard hole for keychain or retention cord when used around water, where once dropped, a knife is often irretrievable or lost
• Closed length is 2-7/16"