Cutting during emergency situations requires a readily accessible knife which can be safely used in chaotic situations. The Rescue Knife is the knife for those times.
If you are considering using this knife in a saltwater environment, please see Spyderco's Atlantic Salt knife for a near-equivalent rust-proof version of this knife.
• Blade Shape — Sheepfoot Blade featuring a blunt rounded tip and a straight cutting edge. The lack of a traditional point reduces the chances of accidental punctures around livestock, inflatable watercraft, and people during emergency cutting
• Blade Grind — flat sabre grind blade shape with flat bevels that extend from the center of the blade down to the cutting edge. This grind maintains full thickness through a larger portion of the blade for increased strength. The steep flat bevels create an exceptionally durable edge, but at the expense of some cutting ability. Kitchen and military/tactical knives typically have this flat sabre grind. Compare this knife to Spyderco's very similar Atlantic Salt knife with its hollow grind blade.
• Blade Edge — this knife features a SpyderEdge edge grind. This is Spyderco’s two-step serration pattern of alternating large serrations and double small serrations - easily seen in the photo. Serrated blades hold their sharpness incredibly well because the actual cutting edge is hidden inside each mini-arch, protected by the pointy outer edge of the blade. The pattern increases the cutting edge’s surface area by up to 24%, and is especially useful on materials that are tough to cut with a plain edge - like ropes
• Large trademark Spyderco Round Hole allows easy opening of the knife using the thumb of just one hand. In turn, the enlarged Round Hole creates a prominent hump in the top of the blade for your thumb to rest against while cutting
• Handle — the Rescue has a high strength, lightweight, fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) polymer handle with Spyderco's tough and grippy "Volcano" waffle-textured pattern for enhanced grip. It comes in black or safety orange.
• The superb quality Japanese VG-10 Takefu stainless steel alloy used in this blade is universally praised on knife forum websites for its exceptional edge holding ability. It exhibits very good rust resistance. Addition of cobalt and nickel improve toughness for better edge stability
• Reversible (for left or right hand use), tip-up pocket clip secures the knife inside your back pocket; this knife carries best in a blade tip-up configuration for easiest access when needed
• Back Lock style positive locking mechanism employs a rocker arm to engage a notch in the tang of the blade to lock it open; depress the recessed rear end of the rocker in the spine of the knife to unlock the blade; mechanism is recessed to prevent accidental unlocking
• Closed length is 4-1/8"