The 6000 Series is 3M's basic facepiece respirator.
It is easy to clean and reuse, comfortable, and NIOSH approved
The 6000 Series facepiece respirator can be used with any of 3M's vapor cartridges, particulate filters, or cartridge/filter combinations for use in a variety of work environments.
Vapor cartridges are simply twisted on or off the facepiece bayonet fittings for easy replacement
Filters can be also attached, with or without vapor cartridges, and may require the use of adaptors.
See the Fisheries Navigator, below, for more details.
Every 3M™ facepiece respirator can be used with any of 3M's vapor cartridge and particulate filter combinations:
• All vapor cartridges attach directly to the bayonet fitting on the facepiece
• All oblong filters can be attached over a vapor cartridge by using a #501 adapter/holder, which snaps onto the cartridge
• All oblong filters can also be used alone on a facepiece (without using a vapor cartridge), by attaching a #603 adapter to the bayonet fitting, placing an oblong filter on it, and using a #501 holder to hold it in place. Do this when vapor protection is NOT required, and only particulate protection is necessary
• All round filters can also be attached to a vapor cartridge, but for round filters use the #502 bayonet adapter, which also just snaps onto the cartridge
• All round filters can also attach directly to the bayonet fitting on the facepiece (without using a vapor cartridge), when vapor protection is NOT required, and only particulate protection is necessary
Note that vapor cartridges are almost always used in conjunction with filters — as in the marine industry, it is rare to be exposed to vapors without the presence of particulates.