The unique Gaco oarlock stands apart from other oarlocks in several important ways.
They have an innovative swivel design that eliminates wear on both the oar and gunwale - so your oars will last longer.
The Gaco oarlock has an oval shape with a beveled surface. This allows the oar to sit at the best angle to achieve the most efficient rowing stroke. The oval shape allows the oar to move up and down more freely during the recovery stroke than a regular oarlock.
The engineered composite materials and freedom of motion make for easier, virtually silent rowing.
The strong coploymer plastic head of the Gaco oarlock rotates around its 316 stainless steel pin, which remains stationary in the gunwale. This eliminates wear in the socket, and is almost friction-free — making it much easier to row.
By contrast, with conventional oarlocks the metal pin rotates in the metal socket, wearing it into an oval shape, and producing that familiar and annoying clunk/slap noise when rowing.
• Fits oars up to 2-1/4" loom diameter — virtually all dinghy, rowboat, and tender oars
• Easy to install, even with oar collars already in place — it just snaps onto the oar loom
• Pin does not rotate in the socket like standard oarlocks eliminating friction, wear, AND "slop"
• Made of hardened 316 SS and a durable coploymer which, together, create a low friction bearing that will not corrode or wear
• Will not mar the surface of your oars
• Strong and lightweight
• Silent operation
• UV resistant
• Hole at bottom of oarlock pin for optional retaining pin
• Socket has a 3/8" internal diameter and a 5/8" outside diameter
• Lifetime warranty
• Oar 1 contains two oarlocks, two adapter sleeves for existing 1/2" sockets, and instructions
• Oar 2 contains two oarlocks, four top mount sockets for new or retrofit installations (requires 5/8"/16mm mounting hole), and instructions
• Additional sizes of adapter sleeves for existing oarlock sockets are available by request; call us at 800-426-6930
Heavy on the technical side...
Gaco oarlocks are now made out of a new plastic copolymer, as opposed to the original polypropylene.
The old polypropylene is plasticised with dioctyl phthallate, which makes it more flexible, but adds nothing to the strength.
The new copolymer is a mixture of polypropylene and polyethylene and is much tougher. Even after 3 hours in a deep freezer, the catch opens easily and the gate can be opened more than necessary.
The included socket in Oar 2 has a 10 mm internal diameter and a 5/8 (16mm) outside diameter, and should fit most existing socket holes. For new installations, drill a 5/8 hole in the gunwale, insert the socket, and secure with # x 3/4"(20mm) screws.
For high sided boats the rowlocks will work more efficiently if they are angled outwards.