The proven benefits of Northstar Meridian Blue AGM battery technology are now enhanced to deliver extended battery life in Partial State of Charge applications with their Blue+ batteries — making them perfect for marine use.
Unlike your car, in marine applications - where batteries are routinely used for long periods without the engine running, the battery charging source - main engine, genset, or even solar panels - does not always provide power until the batteries are fully recharged.
Quite frequently, in fact, the engine may be run for only a short period of time — causing your batteries to experience frequent recharge cyling - which severely shortens their service life.
To minimize the impact of frequent charging, it is crucial to recharge batteries as quickly as possible. At the same time, for long service life, the cyclability of the battery needs to be exceptional, as the number of charging cycles will be greatly increased when you need to shut your engine or genset down before the batteries are fully charged.
NorthStar Blue+ batteries recharge five times faster, and can handle three times as many charge cycles as standard AGM batteries - thanks to their PSoC capability.
Most standard batteries are not Partial State of Charge (PSoC) capable. They require a full recharge after each discharge to achieve long life. But performing a full recharge of a battery takes a significant amount of time, as achieving the last 20% of charge takes almost as long as the first 80%.
A PSoC capable battery does not require a full recharge every cycle and is therefore much faster and easier to recharge.
In unstable or off grid applications - such as using diesel gensets - frequent discharge and recharging will quickly kill standard batteries.
But PSoC capable NorthStar Blue+ Batteries will deliver exceptional performance in this type of application, and ensure the user of a longer life and more reliable battery power - while reducing the overall cost of batteries.
Blue+ advanced AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) construction means all the acid electrolyte is absorbed in fiberglass matting between the lead plates.
There is no electrolyte to leak (even if the case is broken), no water levels to check, and no corrosion to clean.
The flexible AGM construction allows for installation in any orientation, except inverted.
AGM batteries also have a very low self-discharge rate, so they can be stored for much longer periods — without requiring a re-charge — than standard batteries.
NorthStar Blue+ batteries are among those most commonly selected for critical telecom industry back-up power supplies - where cycling abuse is high, and reliability is absolutely crucial.
Please note — Due to the very specific charging voltages required by Northstar batteries - even compared to other brands of AGM batteries - they must be used with a programmable battery charger where you can manually set the bulk and float voltages to the Northstar battery requirements. This will preserve their 2 year warranty.
Blue+ battery features...
• Modified electrochemisty delivers exceptional energy density - for the most power in the smallest footprint
• Faster recharge times
• High cycling capability without damage — Partial State of Charge (PSoC) cycling technology allows for use without having to fully re-charge every time
• Ideal for demanding environments with very unstable AC power - marine, frequent power outage areas, third world, etc.
• Operates even at extreme temperatures: -40°F to 149°F (-40°C to +65°C)
• High potential fuel savings when used with hybrid genset applications
• Ideal for renewable energy applications such as solar power systems
• Advanced 3-stage terminal design to ensure leak-free operation - female M8 or M6 brass terminals provide maximum performance
• Integral handles and front access terminals ensure ease of installation and maintenance
• High modulus polyphenylene oxide plastic materials withstand extended elevated temperatures and maintain high battery compression essential for reliable operation
• Non-halogenated, thermally sealed plastic casing is flame retardant (UL 94 VO) and a Limiting Oxygen Index of at least 28%
• Flame arresters (2) are press fit into valve cover
• State-of-the-art automated manufacturing ensures consistency and reliability
• Overall dimensions (including terminals and handles): 22.0"L x 4.96"W x 12.9"H
• Approved as non-hazardous cargo for ground, sea, and air transport - DOT 49CFR173.159(d), (i) and (ii)
• 2 year shelf life at 25 °C (77°F)
• All Northstar batteries are UL approved, and compliant with Telcordia SR4228, Bellicore GR-63-Core, Issue 1; British, German, Russian telecom standards; Northstar is registered to ISO 9001 and ISO 14001
• 2 year limited warranty
• Made in Missouri, USA