Sea-Lect Designs' Performance Series of kayak hatches are extremely durable, well made hatches with easy-on/easy-off rubber lids that have an expected service life of over 10 years.
Made in the USA, Sea-Lect Designs' Kayak Performance Hatch Lids fill a unique niche as replacements for lower quality hatch covers found on many production kayaks which can start to degrade and decompose after only 2 or 3 years of use. (See below for more details.*)
In addition to their use on kayaks, these hatches make an excellent alternative to traditional deck plates and hinged hatches as handy access hatches.
Sea-Lect Designs makes two styles of kayak hatch covers which share the same flanged mounting rings.
• The Recreational style has a soft rubber cover with a deep snap-on edge
• The Performance style cover has a hard domed plastic center - which won't collect water - and the same deep soft rubber snap-on edge.
Both covers (lids) produce a tight, waterproof seal, and won't pop off when struck by waves. They are removed using the integral pull-tab on the edge.
The hatch mounting rings fit either style of lid. The rings are a hard injection molded polymer and feature a short spigot and a groove for the adhesive sealant used for mounting. It is possible to drill holes for additional fastener back-up, if you desire.
Typically, these hatches are purchased as a complete set of lid and ring for new installations.
They are also very commonly purchased as replacements lids (only) for existing installations where the original hatch lid has deteriorated.
Part numbers ending in -1 come individually boxed; non -1 part numbers are sold in bulk, typically to boat manufacturers.
* The following is information about popular sea kayaks these Hatch Lids fit.
Sizes are nominal; see Specification Table for actual measurements:
• 11" x 18" Oval Lid - Model Oval-1, fits Kayak Sport oval hatches
• 13" x 18" Oval Lid - Model Oval-2, fits Kayak Sport oval hatches
• 10" x 17" Oval Lid - Model Oval-3, fits Valley Sea Kayaks oval hatches