This back mount Rack System is the steering system to use if your single-station stern drive or outboard has power-assisted steering.
These are installations where, because of the power steering, a No FeedBack steering system* should not be used^.
"The Rack" helm incorporates a pinion gear that engages a pre-assembled rack and cable for minimized steering effort. It features the precision and comfort of four turns lock-to-lock, with a cable and helm that install easily from behind the dash.
This new version of "The Rack" replaces older 1984 - present date Teleflex "The Rack" steering without the need for any dashboard modification.
A Back Mount Rack Dual Cable (SSC135xx) is available for boats with power-assisted steering that exceed 50 mph, or experience steering instability due to engine flutter. However, if steering is not power-assisted, SeaStar Solutions recommends upgrading to an NFB 4.0 Pro Rack steering system. See Related Products.
Teleflex recommends No-FeedBack steering for all dual cable steered outboards.
• Precise steering 4.0 wheel turns lock-to-lock
• Comfortable steering "feel"
• Suitable for use on virtually all power-assisted stern drive boats up to 24 ft with wheels up to 16" in diameter
• Helm has standard 3/4" tapered steering wheel shaft
• Back mount design allows placement behind the dashboard for fast and easy installation
• Stranded cable core is armored for durability and strength
• Mounting hardware fits standard Teleflex rack holes
• Stainless steel cable ends minimize corrosion
• Meets ABYC safety standards and NMMA certification requirements
What's in the box...
Kits include — single cable Back Mount Rack Helm (SH95210P), 90° Bezel (SB39526P), mounting hardware, and Back Mount Rack Single Cable (SSC134xx) (the "xx" in the part number is the length of the cable in feet.
Note: an optional Tilt Helm Module (SHT91610) is available for this steering kit. Please contact Fisheries Supply for details at 800-426-6930.
• Kit includes: new SSC134xx cable, helm, bezel and hardware
• Complete systems and individual cables available in 1 ft increments, i.e. SS14112 or SSC13412 (12ft)
• Tilt helm available by special order
• NFB (No-FeedBack) Rack version is also available (see separate entry)
• Note: wheel is NOT included
• This is a drop-in replacement steering system for the Morse command 200 rack system
How to Determine the Proper Cable Length to Order —
Although cable length "formulas" are available, installations have so many individual differences that, arguably, the simplest method is to lay a garden hose (or similar object) along the route the cable will follow and measure the distance from the centerline of the steering wheel to the center of the engine connection point with the tiller centered. Order that length of cable.
If you need assistance or have questions, call us at 800-426-6930.