These discs have received industry-wide recognition as the perfomance benchmark for topcoat finishing, prior to final buffing and polishing.
Use them to remove dust nibs, orange peel, and other minor defects from paint finish coatings.
These discs are also used in fixing gelcoat defects, and for mold repairs.
3M Finishing Discs are noted for their especially exact abrasive particle grading.
This, coupled with their perfectly flat and smooth film backing, produces an incredibly consistent and predictable finish.
3M Finishing Discs also stand out for being used dry — yet being capable of achieving finishes as fine as 1200 grit.
This allows them to be used in machine sanding, instead of wet hand sanding or having to use very aggressive compounds — a huge advantage.
Compared to similar products —
• Use these Finishing Discs for the ultimate in consistent scratch, fine finish sanding, on relatively small jobs.
On a big job, like a 40 foot boat hull, you will burn through a lot of these discs.
• For larger jobs, it might be advisable to wet sand with Trizact 1500 grit Clear Coat Discs, which will cut faster and last longer.
• Regardless, we recommend a final pass with a Trizact 3000 Foam Polishing Disc to soften and blend the very fine scratches left after leveling with the 1200 grit sanding discs. See Related Products, below.
If you are choosing between Hookit™ and Stikit™ attachment systems for these discs, you should be aware that they are not the same discs.
The Hookit version (ONLY) of these traditionally white sanding discs has recently been upgraded to a new purple color, and improved performance in the form of longer disc life, faster cutting, and less loading.
You will immediately notice this performance difference by the dramatically decreased loading in the new purple Hookit discs.
• Best quality in a fine grit disc for working on paint and coatings
• Strong, flat, film backing
• High performance, carefully graded, aluminum oxide abrasive
• Cuts fast, lasts long, resists loading
• Stikit™ backing for easy application and removal
• Priced by the box