The folks at Chelsea designed and perfected a mechanical clock that could withstand the often violent motion of the ships at sea, and added internal ships bells.
It is said that seamen have cursed and blessed their accuracy ever since.
This distinctive, handcrafted timepiece signals the passing of time with gentle, rich-sounding chimes – eight bells at 4, 8 and 12 o’clock to mark the end of a mariner’s four-hour watch, with one bell the first half-hour after, plus one additional bell with each subsequent half-hour.
Behind its classic hand-silvered dial, 364 precision brass parts – many plated with gold – and 11 jewel movements, all of which are made in Chelsea, Massachusetts, are hand assembled in a six week-long process.
Each movement is tested for a week, placed in its case, and tested for an additional week to ensure accuracy in time and enduring quality for years to come.
This is the finest precision mechanical clock movement to be found, anywhere.
• Heavy, forged, solid brass case resists corrosion, and accounts for the distinctive bell tone on the clock
• Three separate hand buffing and polishing steps produce a mirror-like finish
• Hand lacquered finish resists corrosion and tarnishing
• The clock's brass dial is hand silvered on a potter's-type wheel using a traditional, century old process
• Numbers are deeply etched (not painted) and lacquered for durability and aethetics
• All gears are cut, not stamped, for better movement precision
• 5-year warrany
• Made in USA
Available personalization options include: engraved brass plate, engraved case, engraved logo on case or dial, logo screen printing on dial, engraved signature or monogram on case.
Please inquire at via the feedback tab on our website, or at 1-800-426-6930.