For a significant weight savings, as well as a sleek modern look, Splice Line fittings allow you to easily splice hi tech Dyneema line to standard lifeline fittings in place of heavy stainless steel wire. The end terminal of these fittings is a purpose-built, specially formed splicing eye which supports tight synthetic fiber eye splices.
Splice Line eye terminals are machined out of 6061-T6 aluminum and then hard anodized. They are designed to be light weight and easy on the line. The Splice Line terminals are paired with familiar stainless steel end fittings and studs for high strength reliability.
Currently (12/4/14), both US Sailing and ISAF allow Dyneema/Spectra lifelines for offshore racing.
Dyneema/Spectra is also a great product for the cruising sailor who wants to replace their stainless steel lifelines.
CS Johnson recommends changing out the line at 4 year intervals.
• Maximum line diameter is 8 mm (5/16")
• Professional splicing is recommended
• Splice Line terminal dimensions: 9/16" Dia. x 1-5/8"L
• Pin diameter on fittings with pins is 1/4"
• Depending on your lifeline configuration, the splice opposite the fitting may need to be done on the vessel
Heavy on the technical side...
Current ISAF Offshore Regulations for lifelines are:
• Vessels under 8.5 m (28 ft) - 3 mm (1/8") uncoated, stranded stainless steel wire; 4 mm (5/32") single braid HMPE rope; 4 mm (5/32") CORE diameter using double braid HMPE
• Vessels 8.5 m (28 ft) to 13 m (43 ft) - 4 mm (5/32") uncoated, stranded stainless steel wire; 5 mm (3/16") single braid HMPE rope; 5 mm (3/16") CORE diameter using double braid HMPE
• Vessels over 13 m (43 ft) - 5 mm (3/16") uncoated, stranded stainless steel wire; 5 mm (3/16") single braid HMPE rope; 5 mm (3/16") CORE diameter using double braid HMPE
• US Sailing Regulations may differ
• Be sure to check for the most up-to-date regulations if you are making a purchase to comply with specific Racing Rules