The Lewmar Pro-Sport 550 is an economical unit for rope/chain windlass applications without compromise to quality or performance.
The Pro-Sport windlass is designed around a highly efficient spur gearbox using a smaller, more powerful, permanent magnet motor. The unit has power up/power down and a manual freefall feature for getting the anchor down quickly whether in an emergency or to stop at an ideal fishing spot before you drift off it.
The Pro-Sport 550 is available in two versions:
- As a windlass only (with mounting studs, deck gasket, clutch wrench)
- Or as a Kit - which adds a Switching Package: up/down guarded rocker switch, a dual direction solenoid (contactor), and a circuit breaker. The Kit version is, by far, the most popular.
The case is comprised of a rugged aluminum center case and durable composite side covers.
• Suitable for most boats up to 28 ft in length
• Simple Do-It-Yourself installation
• Powerful motor providing superior line speed
• Low power consumption/current draw
• Dual direction powered operation with manual free-fall feature
• Convenient above-deck installation
• Minimum recommended deck thickness is 1" (25mm); supplement with a suitable backing plate, if necessary
• Note that G4, G40, G43, and High Test (HT) chains are equivalent for sizing purposes
• Port side mounted gypsy makes this windlass a direct drop-in replacement for the popular Simpson-Lawrence/Lewmar Horizon 400 & 500
• 3-year warranty
What's in the box: windlass, deck gasket and mounting studs, mounting template, up/down rocker switch, dual direction solenoid, circuit breaker and clutch/installation wrench.
Is one of these windlasses a good choice for your boat? You can use the recommended typical boat lengths provided or, for a more rigorous determination, take the total weight of your ground tackle (anchor + rode) and multiply by 4. The maximum pull capability of the windlass should be at least as large as the resulting number.