Amsteel AS-78 is a high tech, 12-strand, single braid line made with Dyneema SK-78 fiber.
It is one of the most advanced high strength, low stretch ropes available.
This rope exhibits an extremely high strength-to-weight ratio. It is stronger than wire rope constructions, yet is just 15% the weight.
Resistant to environmental degradation — AS-78 doesn't snag or "fishhook"
Its single braid construction is supple, absorbs twist, and resists kinking.
With the switch from Dyneema SK-75 used in Amsteel Blue to the "low creep" SK-78 fibers used in AS-78, this newest version of Amsteel offers improved creep performance — for superior resistance to stretching over time while under high loads.
This makes it ideal for halyards, control lines, running backs, and racing sheets.
• Much lighter than wire rope, and 30 - 40% lighter than Aramid ropes of the same strength
• Elongation when loaded at 30% of breaking strength is less than 1%
• Superior flex fatigue and wear resistance
• Constructed with Dyneema® SK-78 HMPE (high molecular weight polyethylene) fiber
• 12-Strand hollow braid construction
• Splicing technique: full-bury 12-strand splice
• Strengths in specification table are for spliced lines
• Sold by the foot
Heavy on the technical side...
Dynema® is the Dutch company DSM Dyneema's brand of UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene fiber), a long chain, high strength, oriented strand, synthetic fiber with very high strength as well as high abrasion resistance.
This fiber is also known as HMPE (High Modulus PolyEthylene).
Dyneema is available in a number of formulations, SK-60, SK-75, SK-78, SK-90, etc. Each progressively stronger and more expensive.
Honeywell International produces a similar UHMWPE fiber, marketed as Spectra®