For the best quality on a budget, Spyderco offers their "byrd" range of knives - the highest quality knives in the industry at this price point. You can recognize bryd knives by the "comet" shape of the blade's hole. All byrd knives are made in China using 8Cr13MoV steel, the highest quality available in China. (Spderco makes their knives in the country that makes the steel alloy used in the knife - 5 countries in all.)
The newest version of the byrd Cara Cara is the Cara Cara2 with a G-10 handle.
• Blade Shape — Leaf Shaped Blade is similar to a spearpoint, but not completely symmetrical. It has a more acute point and no swedge (unsharpened) or false edge (sharpened) on the spline of the blade. A section of grooves (jimping) at the base of the blade's spine provides an optional slip-resistant position for the thumb
• Blade Grind — Full Flat Grind blade shape with flat bevels that extend from the spine of the blade all the way down to the cutting edge. This grind reduces drag during cutting, and decreases overall weight since a fair amount of metal is removed. Flat grind blades are difficult to produce, so they are rarely seen in high production commercial knives. The flat grind sacrifices some edge durability in favor of increased sharpness
• Blade Edge — the Cara Cara 2 has a traditional Plain, or Smooth, edge which cuts cleanly and sharpens quickly and easily
• byrd "Comet" Hole allows opening of the knife using the thumb of just one hand
• Handle — the Cara Cara 2 has a G-10 epoxy filled, woven glass fiber handle that is rigid, and impervious to temperature changes and chemicals. Its ergonomic, grip-friendly shape adds comfort and blade control
• Durable 8Cr13MoV steel alloy blade - an excellent value priced steel; widely known for its exceptional performance at its price point
• Versatile 4-way pocket clip is reversible (for left or right hand use), and the handle is pre-drilled at both ends for tip-up or tip-down carrying in your back pocket
• Barrel-shaped screw secures the pocket clip and doubles as a lanyard holder, if desired
• Back Lock style positive locking mechanism employs a rocker arm to engage a notch in the tang of the blade to lock it open; depress the recessed rear end of the rocker in the spine of the knife to unlock the blade; mechanism is recessed to prevent accidental unlocking
• Closed length is 4-3/4"