Designed by renowned custom knifemaker Ed Schempp, the Schempp Rock is a purpose-designed, fixed blade, "camp" knife that combines highly evolved ergonomics, exceptional edge geometry, and light weight to yield an incredibly easy to use tool.
One of the most distinctive characteristics of the Schempp Rock is its unique dropped-handle design. The angle between the handle and the blade allows the user's hand to maintain a strong, natural wrist angle and lowers the blade and cutting edge in relationship to the line of the forearm. This provides enhanced control during cutting, reduces fatigue, and transfers energy more efficiently during chopping motions. The handle features full-tang construction for strength and textured, injection-molded, fiberglass-reinforced-nylon handle scales for a secure, comfortable grip.
• The superb quality Japanese VG-10 Takefu stainless steel alloy used in this blade is universally praised on knife forum websites for its exceptional edge holding ability. It exhibits very good rust resistance. Addition of cobalt and nickel improve toughness for better edge stability
• Blade Shape — Drop Point Blade, popularized by the hunting knives of the late Bob Loveless. The spine of the blade follows a subtle convex arc to the point
• Blade Grind — Skeletonized Flat Grind blade shape with flat bevels that extend from near the spine of the blade all the way down to the cutting edge. This creates a superior balance of strength, mass, and an acute edge geometry that gives the Schempp Rock extreme cutting performance for its size and weight. The flat grind also reduces drag during cutting, and decreases overall weight since a fair amount of metal is removed. Flat grind blades are difficult to produce, so they are rarely seen in high production commercial knives. The flat grind sacrifices some edge durability in favor of increased sharpness
• Blade Edge — the Schempp Rock has a traditional Plain, or Smooth, edge which cuts cleanly and sharpens quickly and easily
• Handle — the Schempp Rock has a full-tang construction with the tang of the blade continuing the full length of the handle for superior strength and stiffness. The tang is covered by high strength, lightweight, fiberglass reinforced nylon (FRN) polymer handle scales with Spyderco's patented bi-directional textured pattern for enhanced grip. This pattern features forward and backward graduating steps raditaing out from the center of the handle to provide a secure, comfortable grip. It comes in black