You are using a web browser we don't support. Please use the latest version of one of these browsers.
402 Classic Pedestal (6" Compass) - 1" Straight Shaft; 11 Tooth Sprocket
This larger of the two Edson Classic Series of steering pedestals is ideal for sailboats over 29 ft (8.8 m), and is available with traditional chain and wire drive or in CD-i geared versions.
These are the chain and wire rope versions.
Size 6 Classic 402 Series Pedestal Features —
• Reliable, simple, chain and wire rope drive mechanism
• Extra large 8" pedestal top fits larger compasses with 6" card size (fits smaller compasses with available adapter)
• Accepts all styles of Edson wheels
• Pedestal top is pre-drilled for mounting compass, pedestal guard plate, or engine controls
• Stainless steel wheel shaft and sprocket
• Triple races of stainless steel shaft needle bearings and stainless bearing liners
• Convenient thru-hub wheel brake with stainless knob is included
• Durable glossy white baked-on urethane finish
• All non-magnetic construction
• Hex head recesses in base make for easy one-person installation
• Suitable for use with windvane self-steerers
• Standard height is 28" (base to wheel shaft), other heights available in 2" increments, by special order
• Replaces Edson's older #400 and #401 pedestals
• Made in New Bedford MA, USA
This pedestal can be fit with any of three styles of pedestal guard - straight, angled, and offset (all sold separately).
A very popular option is to add a single or dual lever engine control to the pedestal.
A large selection of other accessories is also available, such as instrument housings, drink holders, tables, etc.
Please call a Fisheries representative for help selecting components for your system at 800-426-6930.
NOTE — These Classic Series pedestals consist of the white powder-coated pedestal (with wheel shaft, chain sprocket and wheel nut & brake) only.
The additional items shown in the image (steering wheel, pedestal guard, top plate, compass, mounting bolts) are all installation-specific, and are sold separately. They are shown only for illustrative purposes.
Heavy on the technical side...
Classic Series pedestals incorporate a time-proven, reliable, chain and wire steering mechanism which has been used on thousands of boats for over 80 years.
Chain and wire systems are readily adaptable to most vessels. They are very strong, adjustable, easily maintained, and constructed with parts that can be readily sourced, worldwide.
In a typical system, the steering wheel is mounted on a shaft which has a toothed sprocket on it (located under the compass).
A section of chain is draped over the sprocket, and the ends of the chain are connected (using a variety of available hardware connectors) to lengths of wire cable within the column of the pedestal.
The wire cables are led, via pulleys, from the bottom of the pedestal to a steering quadrant or radial drive wheel which is attached to the top of the rudder post.
Turning the steering wheel turns the sprocket which moves the chain/wire cables which, in turn, rotate the quadrant/radial drive, thus turning the rudder.
The art in the system is selecting the proper components, aligning the sheaves, and routing the wire cables from the bottom of the pedestal, through the boat to the rudder so they travel as directly as possible yet do not impinge on usable internal space.
Designing a steering system and selecting the proper components requires product knowledge and experience.
Luckily, Edson has steering system designs and lists of components for hundreds of production sailboats available.
Call Fisheries Supply at 800-426-6930 and we can answer your steering system questions, guide you through the process of designing a system, or connect you with an Edson engineer who can help you with the finer points of purchasing the right components.
Click here to read Edson's Chain and Wire Steering Systems Planning, Installation & Maintenance Guide.