You are using a web browser we don't support. Please use the latest version of one of these browsers.
Pettit Protect Epoxy Primer & Barrier Coat - White, Gallon Kit
Pettit Protect is a 2-component, high build, epoxy primer coating for use where maximum resistance to fresh or salt water is required. It is ideally suited as a single-coat primer, as a 2-coat* barrier coat, or as part of a blister repair project.
It has excellent durability in exterior exposures, although like most epoxies, it will chalk if not top coated.
Pettit Protect achieves superior priming and barrier coat protection compared to competing products by incorporating more than twice the concentration of microscopic mica plates - which overlap to form a water resistant barrier.
This makes it an excellent choice for the prevention and repair of osmotic blisters because it markedly reduces water vapor transmission through the coating and works to prevent water penetration into the gelcoat and fiberglass laminate.
Pettit Protect features –
• Exceptional protection for fiberglass and aluminum, steel hulls or other underwater metals
• Reduces water absorption in fiberglass hulls and prevents osmotic blistering
• Excellent water and chemical resistance
• High solids/high build formula for maximum protection with fewer coats than competing products - which can require as many as 6 coats
• Exceptional protection for fiberglass, steel and aluminum hulls, and underwater metals
• Recommended barrier coat under Pettit or Woosley antifouling paints
• Available in gray, or white for overcoating with light-colored bottom paints, or for alternating colors to ensure complete coverage
• 56% solids by volume
• Apply by brush, solvent-resistant roller (3/8" nap^), or conventional or airless spray
• Thinning is not normally required, but use #97 Epoxy Thinner, if necessary
• Theoretical coverage is 225 ft²/gallon
• When used as a primer: apply 1 - 2 coats depending on the substrate*
• When used as a barrier coat: apply 2 or 3 coats for a total of 8 - 12 mils dry film thickness - depending on the application requirements*
* Total Dry Film Thickness is more important than the actual number of coats applied.
On metal and fiberglass, if the required 8 - 12 mils total DFT is not achieved with two or three coats, additional coats are recommended until 8 - 12 mils total DFT is achieved.
Refer to the linked Product Info & Application Guide for specific recommendations.
^ Using a 3/16" nap roller will produce a smoother finish for racing boats, but will then require additional coats to attain the required dry film thickness.
|Selected||SKU #||MFG #||Availability|
|SKU #: 197946||MFG #: 14100/1410106|
5 In Stock
|SKU #: 52447||MFG #: 14700/1470106|
13 In Stock
|SKU #: 126222||MFG #: 14700/1470122|
28 In Stock