These are adapter kits which will allow a bow thruster drive unit to be adapted for transom mounting. A stern thruster, most often used in combination with a bow thruster, will allow for greater vessel control and increased safety in locks or harbors. The availability of a side-directional thruster in the bow and another side-directional thruster at the transom will significantly increase maneuverability in sidewinds and currents.
Modern joysticks make control of the two thrusters easy and extremely intuitive.
Installation of a stern thruster is a simple operation. The electric motor and the other electric components, mounted on the inside of the transom, are protected from the elements. The tunnel and the propeller are installed externally on the transom. For the stern thruster to function correctly, it is important that the propeller is submerged well below the waterline. If this is not the case, the propeller may suck air into the tunnel, resulting in a considerable loss of thrust. Except for the smallest size, each kit accepts several different drive units, see table. Also, see Vetus Bow Thruster entries for details on thruster unit specifications.
• This product is the adapter tunnel only; you must combine this with a thruster of your choosing to make a functional unit; see Related Products, below
• Kit includes the specially shaped 1-piece tunnel and all the necessary stainless steel fastenings to mount to a drive unit
• Mounting flange is integral to the unit and the whole assembly is manufactured in strong and maintenance-free fiberglass
• Can be easily retrofitted to existing installations
• Variety of watertight remote control panels available