You are using a web browser we don't support. Please use the latest version of one of these browsers.
MC-620 Multi-Stage Regulator - 48V
The specialized Max Charge MC-620 Voltage Regulator allows you to take advantage of Balmar’s legendary multi-stage regulation capability in a 48V charging system.
The MC-620 Regulator for 48V applications is for exclusive use with Balmar 96-Series (48V) alternators – the 60 amp 96-48-60-K6 or the 100 amp 96-48-100-K8.
Unlike automotive and OEM marine alternator regulators, the multi-stage Max Charge MC-620 can modify the charging voltage to meet the charge state, battery type, and temperature of large marine battery banks. This ensures faster, fuller battery charging, as every step of the process is optimzed for the battery's exact condition.
Upon engine startup, the Max Charge gently ramps up to full bulk charging voltage, where most of the fast charging occurs.
Once the bulk charge requirements of the batteries are met, the MC-620 regulator reduces the charging voltage to absorption voltage for a deeper, more complete charge.
When the battery is fully charged, the regulator further reduces to float voltage - where the charging system is able to supply enough charging current to replace whatever electrical load the vessel demands, without overcharging the batteries.
The MC-620 is offered with or without an included wiring harness (without - for those needing, or preferring, to do their own wiring). The harness is 54" long and includes power, field, ignition, stator, and ground wires, as well as a fused sensor wire pigtail.
The Max Charge MC-620 has the capability to monitor and compensate for overheating alternator and battery conditions when equipped with the required MC-TS-A alternator temperature sensor and the optional MC-TS-B battery temperature sensor (to add battery temperature compensation). See below for further details.*
NOTE —This MC-620 Regulator is capable of controlling 2 alternators in twin engine installations, if the field wire is split for 2 outputs. To do this, use Balmar's Centerfielder II Dual Alternator Charge Balancer. See Accessory Products.
Max Charge MC-620 features...
• Microprocessor provides individualized charging profiles for: "universal", lead-acid starting, lead-acid deep cycle, gel, absorbed glass mat, spiral wound AGM (e.g. Optima), or halogen batteries. (The MC-620 is not suitable for use with lithium-ion batteries.)
• Automatically monitors batteries and uses up to a dozen individual time and voltage values to optimize charging
• Combination of timed and calculation based segments ensure regulator remains in each stage of charge: bulk, absorption, float - for as little or as long is required
• Adjustable start delay allows engine and belt warm-up before the alternator applies horsepower load to the system
• Adjustable belt load manager programming
• 3-digit LED alphanumeric readout
• Monitors and compensates for alternator and battery temperature when equipped with optional sensors (sold separately); battery temperature sensor (BAL MC-TS-B), alternator temperature sensor (BAL MC-TS-A)
Caution: The MC-620 Regulator requires a 12V connection to the field input to power the device, it cannot be powered from a 48V source. DO NOT apply 48V to the regulator.
* Because of the high-power output of the 96-Series alternators, the use of the Alternator Temperature Sensor (MC-TS-A) is required. It is NOT included in the harness and must be purchased separately. It allows your MC-620 voltage regulator to monitor your alternator temperatures and limit output if safe operating levels are exceeded. See Accessory Products.
When used in conjunction with the optional MC-TS-B battery temperature sensor, the MC-620 can also monitor and respond to an over-temperature condition at the batteries.