An industry first, Harken's waterproof, dual and single-function Digital System Switches feature new technology that sets the standard for the reliable operation of electrically powered yacht systems.
Each of the digital dual-function switches, below, incorporates two finger-actuated controls, taking up half the deck space of similar pairs of single-function switches.
Available in either stainless steel or black polyamide resin, the covers on the switch rotate to expose the intuitive activation buttons —
• Choose the 1st/2nd gear switch for sheet winches
• Choose the In/Out (Right/Left) switch for furling and bow or stern thrusters
• Choose the Up/Down switch for anchor windlassess
• When the cover is rotated to the Off position, both buttons show Off - instead of their symbol - and cannot be accidentally activated
To attain their outstanding reliability, two safeguards are built into each switch:
• The fingertip control buttons send discrete on/off digital signals to a separately powered decoder module (sold separately; see #DS-DECODER), rather than a non-stop analog signal like a regular on/off switch. The decoder module, which is mounted next to the winch's control box, then sends an analog signal the short distance to the winch, activating it for as long as the switch button is held down.
In contrast, an analog switch sends a continuous electrical signal directly to the powered device, which means a short circuit, or damage to the long wiring run, or water ingress could result in unintended activation with possible winch or boat damage.
• Underneath each control button are two command switches which must both be activated simultaneously before a signal is sent - again, preventing the system from activating when no one has pressed the button
• Switches resist impact, wear, and abrasion
• Watertight seals are never exposed - even with the rotating cover in the ON position - eliminating seal damage caused by sun or prolonged use
• To make use easy at night, the control buttons feature high-contrast symbols and are backlit for around-the-clock visibility
• Switches can be mounted horizontally or vertically
• Easy to install - the switch is either fastener or adhesive mounted and requires only a small hole for the wires; the decoder box (sold separately) is adhesive-backed and has color-coded wires for straightforward connections