You are using a web browser we don't support. Please use the latest version of one of these browsers.
Maxwell's popular HRC10 Horizontal Windlass automatically handles spliced rope/chain combination rodes - including the thick rope splice, making a seamless transition from chain to rope as the rode is deployed or retrieved. A huge through-deck hawse pipe ensures easy entry and exit of rode.
The HRC10 is sized to meet the demands of use on larger vessels up to 52 ft (16m), which require a completely above deck installation. The modern appearance of the HRC10 Series retains the classic good looks of previous Maxwell horizontal windlasses, while incorporating design features years ahead of its competitors.
The HRC10-8 and larger HRC10-10 windlasses feature Maxwell's off-set rib Wave Design chainwheel — which offers superior rope grip, but with with less wear.
Furthermore, the revolutionary patented Wave Design™ chainwheel is able to accommodate a wide range of chain pitch differences within a specified chain size. It can be used with 5/16"/8mm (RC10-8) or 3/8"/10mm (RC10-10) short link marine chain — HT or BBB or metric. The Wave Design chainwheel handles all of them equally well.
By the way, the HRC10 works just as well with all-chain rodes for those who prefer the added security and holding power of an all-chain anchor system.
The HRC10-8 windlass is typically suitable for use on boats in the 27 - 47 ft range, depending on windage and displacement.
The HRC10-10 windlass is typically suitable for use on boats in the 30 - 52 ft range, depending on windage and displacement.
The typical boat lengths listed include both light and heavy displacement vessels. If your vessel's length is toward the top end of the range given for a particular windlass, but has a relatively heavy displacement for its length, choose the next larger size windlass.
Analogously, If your vessel's length is toward the top end of the range provided for a particular windlass, but has a very light displacement for its length, you can select that windlass.
Use good judgment, as you never know when your windlass will be pressed to perform at the limits of its capabilities - such as raising the anchor in storm conditions.
Fisheries stocks the HRC10 windlass in the traditional capstan version which features an independent horizontal winch drum for rope hauling, or retrieving a second anchor rode. HRC10 windlasses are also available in "Low Profile" versions without a capstan by special order; please inquire at 800-426-6930,
Horizontal windlasses have always faced the challenge of the rode engaging fewer of the chainwheel's gripping elements than vertical models. Maxwell has solved this problem with their unique "wrap around" horizontal chainwheel design which ensures that more than 90° of the wheel engages the rode. This results in more secure, and greatly improved, rope and chain handling compared to competing windlasses.
• Wave Design chainwheel provides superior holding power and less rope wear, see below for details
• Each chainwheel will accommodate HT, BBB, or metric short link chain of the designated size
• HRC10-8 will accommodate 5/16" HT/BBB or 8mm short link marine chain spliced to 9/16" - 5/8" three-strand or 8-plait rope
• HRC10-10 will accommodate 3/8" HT/BBB or 10mm short link marine chain spliced to 5/8" three-strand or 8-plait rope
• Capstan models have a chromed bronze drum
• Above deck design - motor and drive encapsulated in a 2-piece watertight case, saving space below deck
• Two part warertight case allows easy access, on-deck routine maintenance
• Two part case consists of a die cast, marine-grade hard anodized aluminum alloy front section and a rugged, easily removable composite motor cover aft section for outstanding saltwater durability
• Simple bolt down installation is fast and straightforward
• Manual retrieval and cone clutch controlled "free fall" deployment option using emergency handle provided
• Sealed oil bath and marine grade hard anodized aluminum alloy gearbox with precision worm drive for maximum power output
• Dimensions on deck (both models): 14-9/16"L x 7-7/8"H x 12-1/2"W (8-7/8"W for LP versions)
• As with all windlasses, use in conjunction with a chain stopper or snubber to take the load when lying at anchor
• 3-year limited warranty
• Note that G4, G40, G43, and High Test (HT) chains are equivalent for sizing purposes
What's in the box (U.S. models) — windlass and chainwheel, panel mounted up/down helm switch, dual direction solenoid, panel mounted on/off circuit breaker, and clutch release/emergency manual retrieval handle.
Recommended options include: chain stopper (or chain snubber); see Accessories, below.
Additional options include: deck mounted footswitches, wired or wireless rode counters, windlass control and rode counter combo, wired or wireless handheld remote control; see Related Products.
Is one of these windlasses a good choice for your boat? You can use the recommended typical boat lengths provided or, for a more rigorous determination, take the total weight of your ground tackle (anchor + rode - presumably correctly sized for your particular vessel) and multiply by 3. The maximum pull capability of the windlass should be at least as large as the resulting number.
Heavy on the technical side...
The patented Wave Design™ rope/chain wheel incorporates two unique design concepts that greatly improve the handling and control of the rope/chain spliced rode. The outer ribs of the chainwheel are angled slightly forward ensuring that the rope and the chain are smoothly guided in the wheel during anchor retrieval.
As the rope pulls into the wheel, the opposite facing inner ribs grip the rope in an undulating manner, securing the rope more firmly in a "wave pattern" action (like a rope clutch) that is far superior to the traditional "jam cleat" manner of holding the rope used in all other rope/chain wheels on the market. Not only does this Wave Design hold the rope more securely, it is also kinder on the rope resulting in increased longevity of your anchor rode.
The ingeniously designed Wave Design™ Chainwheel on every RC Series windlass, is able to accommodate a wide range of chain pitch differences within the specified marine short-link chain size — G4, BBB, and Metric.
|Selected||SKU #||MFG #||Availability|
|SKU #: 381062||MFG #: HRC10812V|
|SKU #: 381063||MFG #: HRC101012V|
|SKU #: 432672||MFG #: HRC101024V|
Ships in 5-7 days direct from Manufacturer
|SKU #: 443725||MFG #: HRC1010HYD|
Ships in 5-7 days direct from Manufacturer